Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Grocery Trip 3-17-10





I have finally decided to start budgeting how much I spend on groceries.

I recently moved to a smaller city and there aren't as many stores as I am used to shopping at. There are basically two stores. They are Piggly Wiggly and Food Lion, neither of which I normally shop at so this is going to be a big adjustment. I made my meal plan out for the week and decided to try out the new stores.

I made my meals for the week based around what I already had in the kitchen and freezer. After making my list I wrote a shopping list of what I needed. That list turned out to only be produce and a couple of small items. I went to Piggly Wiggly and went shopping for my produce. I picked up bananas for $.49/lb and tomatoes for $.99/lb. I thought that was pretty cheap, but I was wrong. In front of me was a reduced produce rack that was the motherload. On it was everything I needed...tomatoes, bananas, green onions, sweet potatoes, apples, pears, corn on the cob, potatoes and carrots. I bought just enough for the meals that I needed so that I wouldnt waste it because these items wouldn't last as long as the fresh items. I also picked up a head of lettuce and some frozen broccoli that wasn't reduced.

I walked around the store and surveyed my new surroundings just in case i needed to come back for a quick run.

My total was $13.27

It felt so good to get such a great deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment